Education System in Canada


Universities offer programs that lead to different types of degrees in many disciplines and subjects. There are three types of degrees:

- bachelor’s degree: a basic degree given by Canadian universities that takes three to four years to complete.
- master’s degree: a more advanced degree that usually takes one to three more years of study.
- doctoral degree: the most advanced degree offered by Canadian universities. It generally requires three or more years of study and research following a master’s degree.
- In regulated professions, such as medicine, law and education, students must complete an internship or pass a standardized examination in addition to completing their degree. They must complete all these steps before they can become licensed to work in their profession.

Colleges and institutes

There are many types of colleges and institutes. Some are formally recognized by governments. They are known as:

- colleges
- community colleges
- colleges of applied arts or applied technology
- institutes of technology or science
- collèges d’enseignement général et professionnel in Quebec.

Other colleges and institutes are entirely private and are usually called career colleges.

Colleges and institutes usually offer one to three year programs. They issue diplomas and certificates that qualify graduates to work in specific jobs within many different fields. These fields include:

- business
- computer and mechanical technologies
- health
- social services
- agriculture
- trades (such as carpenter, electrician and plumber)
- many others

A growing number of recognized colleges also offer bachelor’s degrees and, in some cases, master’s degrees.

Costs and financial help

All students must pay tuition fees for post-secondary studies. Tuition fees vary depending on the school and program. They are usually between $2,500 and $8,000 a year. Students must also buy course materials such as textbooks and supplies. They must also pay for:

- housing
- food
- transportation
- other expenses
Many students depend on programs to help them cover the costs of post-secondary education in Canada. In general, there are two types of financial help for students:

- student loans from a bank or the government, which you have to repay
- grants, scholarships or bursaries, which you don’t have to repay

Both the federal government and the provincial or territorial governments have programs that provide low-cost loans, grants and scholarships for students. You can get information from:

- National Student Loans Service Centre
- The university or college you plan to attend